Java and Technology weblog
I recently started trying out the early access version of Java8. When I tried using it with maven in IntelliJ however, I got the following error when I ran the maven install command:
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.1:compile (default-compile) on project xyz:
Fatal error compiling: invalid target release: 1.8\
Although I saw some suggestions on stackoverflow here about hardcoded JAVA_HOME paths, the solution was just changing the maven specific version of Java that IntelliJ uses. This can be done via:
File > Settings > Project Settings > Maven > Runner
and selecting the 1.8 version of the JRE.
Following my introductory rant on the subject, this post is a working example of using Swing and Webstart with a multi-module maven project.
I have spent the last few weeks struggling with a Swing app that I wanted to deploy via Webstart and build using Maven, via the the Webstart Maven Plugin. It has been a hugely painful process. I found the plugin documentation difficult to follow, struggled to understand the subtle config differences in jnlp, took longer than I expected to get jar signing working, had problems with webstart caching and suffered through a plethora of vague error messages. I found this posting where the author vowed to never use Webstart again, and I can empathize. Postings of people asking for help with Webstart problems certainly aren’t difficult to find. Using maven to build the jnlp provides some conveniences, but introduces new problems too. Overall, I’d prefer to avoid using a Swing/Webstart/Maven solution again.
I recently converted a project I have been working on to use Maven. After setting up all the dependencies in the pom, I got everything compiling fine but ran into problems getting the unit tests to pick up the hibernate config (hibernate.cfg.xml) and hibernate mapping (*.hbm.xml) files. With hindsight, it is straightforward, but it took me a while to figure it out so I thought I’d post the solution here.
Initially, I had my hibernate.cfg.xml file in the following directory
And when I first tried to run my hibernate unit tests (mvn test), I got this error:
SessionFactory creation failed.org.hibernate.HibernateException: /hibernate.cfg.xml not found
Some checking of the maven docs and some forums revealed the following possible solutions:
1) Copy the hibernate.cfg.xml file to
This works, however I think it is a hack as the target folder is generated rather than being somewhere you should actually manually create files.
2) The next solution I found suggested moving the hibernate.cfg.xml to
This works well as the contents of this folder are copied to the base level of the my-app/target/classes folder so it is basically a ‘more correct’ solution than the first.
3) The next and I think best solution was to create a new, duplicate hibernate.cfg.xml inside
This allows a different hibernate.cfg.xml file to be used for testing and, for example, facilitates connecting to a different database (such as hsqldb) for testing while continuing to use your regular database (such as MySQL) for the app itself.
A couple of points to note:
1) The hibernate mapping files (i.e. the *.hbm.xml files) should also be in the resources folder (in whatever directory structure you choose) to ensure that these too are accessible by the unit tests.
2) I am not (yet) using Spring with the hibernate components, which would likely have changed the above setup.